Hi, I'm Hakima, the baker & photographer behind Sift with Kima.
At the end of 2021, I started Sift with Kima because of my passion for baking, and I wanted to share it with my friends and family without the stress of opening up my own shop.
I wasn't always a baker, however. In fact, I was quite terrible at it. I didn't start loving baking until after I got married in 2014. I decided to try my hand (again) at making dough, and at first, my dough would come out dry and stiff, and tasting pretty bad. But I kept trying, and the first thing I successfully made was a batch of soft pretzels, and from that moment on, I was in love.
Cakes and desserts followed soon after and I started taking cake orders every now and then. I even made my sister's wedding cake.
By the end of 2021, I no longer wanted to take cake orders, or sell my baked goods (even the far and few occasions that I did that), but I still wanted to bake for people, because baking and sharing my food brought me so much joy.
Sift with Kima was born one day in the middle of December, on a whim (because apparently that is how I roll).
what you'll find at Sift with Kima
- I have a bachelor's degree in Medieval European history.
- I work in local government, specifically asset management.
- I am a die-hard Harry Potter nerd.
- I love coffee, and you'll find me adding espresso to a lot of my baked goods.
- I have always loved photography, but it was primarily landscape or travel photography. This blog has helped me grow my skills, and now I'm absolutely in LOVE with food photography, and I'm no expert, but I can pat my back every now and then after a shoot because the photos turned out pretty darn good.
When I'm not baking...
I love to read, binge my favorite TV series, travel the world with my soulmate, camp in the mountains, explore new coffee shops, and chill with my best friends and sisters.
We adopted two kittens in 2018 and now they're full-grown fat cats and we love every single bit of them, even when they're being little rascals. My husband and I have a complete obsession with cats and we may need therapy for it, but we could have worse addictions, right? 😉
I hope you enjoy all the recipes found on my blog. If you'd like more content, be sure to follow my instagram!
In the meantime, grab a cup of tea, join me on this journey, and sift a little with me.